What’s New at Phoebe Needles
Robert S. Strong Summer Camp Fund Established
For more than 19 years, Bob Strong served on the Phoebe Needles Center, Inc. Board of Directors. For 12 of those years, he served as the president of the Board. Our Executive Director, John Heck, recently said, “There was no one more enthusiastic, faithful, and willing to promote our programs than Bob. He served as the medical director for our summer camp programs, recruited many board members and sent lots of donors our way.”
The PNCI Board of Directors has established the Robert S. Strong Summer Camp Fund in his memory. Speaking for the Board, Board President Bob Pohlad said, “The hope of the Board is to raise at least $25,000 to create a perpetual fund that will support the Summer Camp program for many years to come. Please consider making a donation to honor the memory of Bob Strong, and to assist the campers and staff who participate in our worthwhile summer camp programs.”
Donations may be sent to the Robert S. Strong Summer Camp Fund, Phoebe Needles Center, Inc., 732 Turners Creek Road, Callaway, VA 24067. Checks should be made payable to Phoebe Needles Center, Inc. Or, donate online today!Donate Today!
Active Seniors continues via Zoom – JOIN THE FUN!
Active Seniors is a light exercise class for seniors who would like to work on developing strength, mobility and flexibility at their own pace. Participants join the group via Zoom while exercising from the comfort of their own home. Participants are able to exercise at their own intensity level and to rest or forgo exercise as needed.
Currently, participants join from several states such as New Jersey and Florida, as well as throughout the state of Virginia. Participants enjoy the camaraderie, accountability, and friendship of group exercise without having to leave the comfort of their home. It’s a great way to make new friends and to socialize.
PARTICIPATION IS FREE!!
If you are not sure if the Active Seniors Class is right for you, then feel free to log-in and give it a try! You do not have to participate in every session and you may stop attending at any time.
To join in the Active Seniors fun, email PNCenter@gmail.com to be added to the Active Seniors email group and to receive log-in instructions.
Music in the Mountains: November 2021
The next Music in the Mountains event will be on Sunday, November 14th, 2021 from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. From 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., there will be music by Mac Traynham, Andy Buckman and friends! From 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., there will be music by Seph Custer! The event is FREE of charge, but donations are welcome for our summer camp fund. There will be free hot dogs, chips, brownies, lemonade, and coffee. The music will be outdoors (weather permitting). WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!
July 2021 Music in the Mountains – Kerosene Willy
JOIN US on July 31st, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. outside of Phoebe Needles Hall for some freestyle, jam rock ‘n’ roll played by Kerosene Willy! Remember to bring your own chair.
“Friends of Phoebe Needles” Newsletter
Phoebe Needles in the News
- “Phoebe Needles to host Spring Gathering tomorrow”– Franklin News Post, April 2022
- “Music in the mountains at the Phoebe Needles Center benefits summer camp programs” – Franklin News Post, September 2020
- Check out our ONLINE CAMP program on Channel 12’s Facebook!
- “Phoebe Needles Center to offer virtual summer camp” – Frankln News Post, May 2020
- Carwash to be held Thursday – Franklin News Post, July 2019
- Active seniors see benefits from exercise – Franklin News Post, July 2019
- Phoebe Needles Center presents “The Struggle for Wilderness” – Franklin News Post, June 2019
- Phoebe Needles Center to host Spring Gathering – Franklin News Post, April 2019
- Center for Lifelong Learning Celebrates 15 Years – Franklin News Post, February 2019
- Local groups team up to give back – Franklin News Post, October 2018
- Franklin launches barlt train quil – Franklin News Post, September 2018
- International camp counselors come to Phoebe Needles Center – Franklin News Post, June 2018
- Phoebe Needles provides a great summer camp – The Roanoke Times, June 2018
- Seniors learn about safety at self-defense workshop – Franklin News Post, May 2018
- ‘Power of Slave Narratives’ explained – Franklin News Post, February 2018
- Calendars fill up with holiday cheer– Franklin News Post, November 2017
- English and Kiwi staffers add multicultural flair to Phoebe Needles summer camp – Franklin News Post, July 2017
- Phoebe Needles Center celebrates 100th anniversary – Franklin News Post, May 2017
- Ready for summer-time fun – Franklin News Post, April 2017
- Barn Quilt Trail’s popularity grows – Franklin News Post, March 2017
- Macklin to speak at the Phoebe Needles Center – Franklin News Post, February 2017
- Needles Center starts series – Franklin News Post, January 2017
- Rev. John Heck on Channel 12’s “Rise and Shine” show – March 2016
- Summer camps offer unique experiences – Franklin News Post, March 2016
- Phoebe Needles camps have international flair – Franklin News Post, July 2015
- Phoebe Needles camps ready to roll for summer – Franklin News Post, May 2014
- Phoebe Needles summer camps will start soon – Franklin News Post, June 2013
- Stations of the Cross: Eagle Scout chooses spiritual project – Franklin News Post, July 2012
- The Phoebe Needles Center: Historic mission school still focuses on youth – Franklin News Post, June 2012
- Phoebe Needles Center campers do great work – Franklin News Post, August 2011
- A Summer of Service – Franklin News Post, August 2011
- Suds and Snacks for Storm – Franklin News Post, July 2011